The APU Master Program is a community based cross-country ski program that offers group-training sessions for adults. The goal of the program is to help develop cross-country ski skills, improve fitness, and promote skiing in the community.
If you are skiing for fitness, just getting started or a seasoned racer, the APU Master program offers great training and a lot of fun!
The group training focus is on technique and ski fitness. Summer training includes roller skiing, running, ski imitation, biking, and strength. Sessions are designed to fit the training group. In the winter ski sessions alternate between classic and skate. Strength training is an important component in Master training. One strength session is scheduled every week in all seasons.
One of the best parts of the Master program is that it provides a group to ski and train with year round. It is a great environment to learn about technique, waxing, and training. As a part of the Master program, you can take part in wax clinics, community races, spring crust skis, and club ski-selection nights at local retailers. Race support offered for Anchorage Cup and local Marathon races.
Training is typically located at Hillside, APU, and Kincaid. Athletes will also take special training sessions to run in the mountains or ski other trails.
Head Coach: Galen Johnston
Assistant Coaches: Jack Novak, Eliza Rorabaugh
There are three options: Noon Masters, Evening Masters, and a Flex Option.
- Noon Masters meet from 12:15 to 1:45 PM
- Evening Masters meet from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
- Flex Option, you have the option to attend the Noon or Evening Masters as it best fits your schedule.
All groups are coed. Sessions are scheduled Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Summer (April 27 to September 4)
Noon or Evening …… $800
Flex ………………….. $890
Fall (September 12 to October 30)
Noon or Evening …… $410
Flex ………………….. $430
Winter (October 31 to April 9)
Noon or Evening …… $1280
Flex ………………….. $1470
Year Round (April 27 to April 9)
Noon or Evening …… $1800
Flex ………………….. $2030
- APU (map link) – Meet on the lawn in front of Atwood Center.
- Hilltop Ski Area (map link) – Meet at the far end of the inner parking area at the Nordic Ski Trailhead.
- Kincaid Park (map link) – Dryland Activity: Meet at the ‘soccer ball’ patio along the paved path near the chalet. On Snow: Meet on the north side of the lower parking lot.
- Glen Alps (map link) – Meet at the main trailhead.
- Prospect Heights (map link) – Meet at the main trailhead.
- Upper Huffman (map link) – Meet at the main trailhead.
- Rabbit Lake Trailhead (map link) – Meet at the main trailhead.
- Basic Fitness/Skill – We welcome all ability levels but some prior ski skill is encouraged. Those considering joining should be able to safely navigate beginner level trails of the Anchorage trail systems. Masters should be able to run/walk or ski for 15-30 minutes without stopping and be able to move for over 90 minutes with short breaks.
- Health – Participants must be healthy to participate in practice. Stay home and take rest when you’re sick. Communicate with the Coach any existing injuries or health concerns that may be affected by participating in our practice activities.
- Readiness – Participants are expected to arrive in time to receive important instructions given at the beginning of each practice, and with appropriate gear.
- Anchorage Cup Races organized by NSAA
- Race to the Outhouse by Mat-Su Ski Club
- Tour of Anchorage by NSAA
- Oosik Classic by Denali Nordic
- Homer Ski Marathon by Kachemak Nordic
- Sonot Kkazzoot by Fairbanks Nordic Ski Club
- Alyeska Hill Climb by CCAK and Girdwood Nordic
- Registration Payments and Waivers – All registration is online and required before attending the first session.
- Family Discount – After purchasing two year round memberships, all additional memberships are half price. Please contact coaches to get a registration coupon.
- Payment Plans are available for year round memberships. The payment can be split into two payments, the first half is due before the first day of practice and the second half due October 1. To enroll, choose the year round payment plan option when registering.
- Helmets are required at all roller ski and bike sessions.
REGISTER ONLINE NOW
One-Week Trial Membership
If you want to check out the program before signing up, we offer a one-week trial membership for new members.
One Week Trial Registration »