The Mountain Running program is designed as an exciting option to explore new mountains, routes, as well as technical mountain running skill and fitness. Join a great group of mountain runners who love to travel light and quick in the Chugach Front Range!
There’s nothing like getting out into the mountains after a long day, celebrating the unique opportunity we have under the Alaskan midnight sun. We study the art of moving fluently through the rough mountains, searching for our inner mountain goats, and using our human minds to lean on elite mountain running techniques and training.
Coaches: Eric Strabel & Galen Johnston
May 3 to August 30 …….. $270
Tuesday evenings, 6:30 – 8:00 PM, except no practice July 5th
- Hilltop Ski Area (map link) – Meet at the far end of the inner parking area at the Nordic Ski Trailhead.
- Kincaid Park (map link) – Dryland Activity: Meet at the ‘soccer ball’ patio along the paved path near the chalet. On Snow: Meet on the north side of the lower parking lot.
- Glen Alps (map link) – Meet at the main trailhead.
- Prospect Heights (map link) – Meet at the main trailhead.
- Upper Huffman (map link) – Meet at the main trailhead.
- Health – Participants must be healthy to participate in practice. Stay home and take rest when you’re sick. Communicate with the Coach any existing injuries that may be affected by performing in our practice activities.
- Basic Mountain Fitness – Participants should be able to move non-stop on foot for at least 90 minutes. The group moves efficiently, running flat and gradual terrain, and ascending and descending safely in the steep and technical mountain terrain. Traditionally, members of this group can complete the round trip to at least the Flat Top summit from the Glen Alps trailhead in 90 minutes, while front runners may round trip to Peak 2 and back in the same time.
- Mountain/Backcountry Sense – Participants should be able to safely navigate in the mountains by themselves if they become separated from others, and be prepared with appropriate clothing (see Equipment).
Competition options during the Alaskan Summers are a plenty!
Alaska Mountain Runners Race Calendar
REGISTER ONLINE NOW
One-Week Trial Membership
If you want to check out the program before signing up, we offer a complimentary one-week trial membership for new members.
One Week Trial Registration »